Cynthia Lee again. Notice. Take a breath… Look again.
- Cat hair-dog hair- my hair, in tufts and corners and everywhere, despite all the sweeping, all the vacuums, all the breezes.
- The kitchen floor is wide planks, but fake, so tricky… some sort of foolery of tech and plastic. And everyone is fooled.
- My favorite rug is in the kitchen. It is still shocking to me that not everyone has a rug in their kitchen. warmth? It is so many reds, and blacks and diamonds and strange shapes, and, I think, pink geometry.
- The mismatch of chairs at the table, two from childhood, one from the beach house, hearts still intact, and one purchased during marriage. One of the marriage chairs was disassembled on Christmas day by a large and growing teen boy. It was not intentional and now I have to consider if I want to reassemble it, or if the initial break renders it unreliable forever. Isn’t there a lot in there?
- Two nativity scenes on the kitchen table. And santa. I’m not really sure my kids know the Christmas story. There is also a saint fauci candle. No connection.
- The kitchen sink is full of last night’s pans, roast chicken and mashed potatoes and stuffing. It was delicious. So very much. And still. Pans. Sigh. I’ll get to them soon. Before lunch, at the very least.
- One of the lights is out above me. Also will get to that.
- The chair I’m in has good bones, but part of the seat has fallen through. And I’m looking for a replacement but I’m not even on the list at this point and I recognize a problem. But still.
- The wood bin is full, a sign of plenty and fullness. And it leans against my last vision board (man I hate that term, but it is what it is. ‘manifest’. Ugh.) and on the board is this “process is the point” . and man, it is, for me, all the points.
- Colors are everything for me. The colors here are just nonstop and so damn pleasing.
- There is a puzzle half done nearby of toy animals, in the center of the plant area, near the tiny ‘village’ that we put up every year. I think it will be the first to go, that village, because more plants. More plants are needed. more green, more life.
Round two :
- There is still much detritus of Christmas around. A shiny red ribbon under the table, a roll of washi tape, the corner of wrapping paper gone white on its underside.
- The chairs pushed back and out from after the meal. The kitchen entirely abandoned after the eating, which explains the still-full sink.
- I reach out to the radiator constantly, the mild burn of the cast iron painted silver is so pleasing on some level, so entirely fulfilling. Proof that some things work.
- My side table overflowing with books, and I’m back lately to having a hard time focusing on reading. The empty water bottle, the almost-empty coffee mug. A pen, a stack of tarot cards and a phone.
- The black dog who trundles in to sleep on the beautiful rug, spending his days moving from sleep spot to sleep spot. Who is to say he is not right? I took him to the beach yesterday for the first time. He was not sure what to make of it. He is not well trained off leash, let it suffice to say. Or on leash, for that matter.
- Santa is tucked in behind saint fauci and the nativity. It is sort of confusing, this world, but then, not at all.
- On the toaster sits a coffee cake. Bet it is all stiff with the air. Again, I will get to it.
- I have a reading lamp next to my chair, that is wound by a light up garland of false wisteria. And one of paper stars. So much. I have so much.
- The cat is staring into the bush again, watching the birds and occasionally cackling. She so wants to snuggle with the dog but her distrust makes for many many entertaining events. Her distrust is misplaced. I think he would love it. The animate is filling me up this time around.
- I see the butter dish over there. I know it is empty because mashed potatoes were made. Greasy washing coming up.
- The underside of kitchen chairs is visible to me from here. I can see the next one to go. I need a fix-it man.
–my mind is too much with me, my friends. it is time for a cleaning, then we will see what appears. yes?
2 thoughts on “December 28 : dishes on my mind”
I don’t have a rug in the kitchen but when we get to painting in there, I am planning to paint the floor as the hardwoods are in horrible condition … Deck paint will work wonderfully. And I am painting a big portal in tbe middle of the kitchen
Cannot wait to see!! Your work is in my heart space!